Name:
Location: North Wales, PA, United States

I am a mother of a beautiful son and daughter, a full time worker for a mortgage company and a musician on the side playing piano and organ for local churches/schools/professional groups. I also have a wonderful husband who is a stay at home dad (a.k.a. SAHD)!

Monday, March 02, 2009

All Done!

I'm officially done breastfeeding and pumping as of yesterday and made it to my goal of 6 months! It was good timing as it was starting to get busy at work and getting more difficult to get away from my desk. But I'm really thankful to my company for having a dedicated lactating room fully equipped with a sink, refrigerator/freezer & locks on doors. At my last company, they didn't have such a room, so looking for an open office, covering up the windows, putting up a sign, going to the bathroom to wash things, etc made it difficult for nursing mothers. I was a little bit sad as I saw myself drying up and that this will be the last time (as we don't plan on having any more kids), but at the same time I'm happy to get my freedom again and that we can go places now. I have to say I became a master at pumping...at times I've had to pump in the car, even while we were driving! Very difficult to do when your husband is driving wildly on roads like Lincoln Drive (it's a very windy road here in Philadelphia).

Now on to concentrating on losing this belly fat that just won't go away. With Nathan, I was able to fit back into my skinny jeans 5-6 months after giving birth with minimal workouts. I've been working out 2-3 times a week and doing situps every night and I still can't fit into my regular pants. My weight right now is what I weighed when I came home from the hospital with Nathan, so I still have another 10-12 lbs to go. It's so much harder the 2nd time around! I've determined that everybody falls into one or all three of these categories in losing baby fat:

1) Good genes
2) Breastfeeding
3) Dieting and exercising

Unfortunately I fall into #3. Breastfeeding/pumping only helped me lose 15 lbs and then it just stops. I know some people who fall into #1 and/or #2 and they became even skinnier than they were b4 they were pregnant...I hate those people and it's so unfair! I just have to watch my portions and exercise consistently. I realized that my metabolism has dramatically slowed down and I can't gorge and eat whatever I want anymore. But I am proud of the fact that I can now run 20 minutes straight...when I first started out a few months ago, I was dying after 5 minutes. I'm thankful to my company again for having a gym so that I can workout during lunchtime...it's a great energy boost in the middle of the day.....I just don't have the energy to wake up early or go after work.

3 Comments:

Blogger RBK said...

Congratulations! I am sooooo looking forward to the end of nursing (#2 for me will not take a bottle.) That's awesome that you can run for 20 minutes straight! You should sign up to do a race or something to motivate yourself. I'm still looking at my flabby belly, too, and mine's almost one!

3/02/2009 6:50 PM  
Blogger yellowinter said...

congratulations, I! you did it! i'm quite impressed at your discipline to work out at work in the middle of the day.
i never lost that last 10 pounds after N, so who knows what will happen when we have another. :) i bet you still look fabulous though.
btw, how did you ever pump while driving through lincoln drive?! wow!

3/03/2009 1:17 PM  
Blogger Soo said...

Wow! You have such discipline and dedication. I fall into #3 also. Trying to find time to exercise is hard. I was thinking of biking to work but it kinda scares me... I have this fear a car will hit me... Hmm, I never lost the weight from the last pregnancy...

3/12/2009 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home